Thursday, September 20, 2012

Waltham

22 June, 2003
WALTHAM
Permission to Build
11-song CD 


I'll never forget my introduction to Waltham. It was a few years ago at Skybar, that auspicious lair of untested talent where you never know what you're gonna get. My reaction-ascending disbelief followed by numb acceptance followed by the realization "Holy hell, I'm actually having a good time"- was clearly replicated all over the room. "Um...Rick Springfield?" stammered one well-known mop-topped scenester into my ear. "They...they're seducing my inner fourteen-year old girl," I marveled. This is Boston, home of indie rock, land of garage schlock. Who expects teeny-bopper idols in cut-off T-shirts creating big bass, bigger guitars, enormous melodic hooks, with gargantuan balls to actually get up on stage and play songs we should be hearing on VH1's Where Are They Now?

Now the ultimate Guilty Pleasure has released their debut CD, Permission to Build, and it's absolutely, purely, a Waltham record. If they were tempted to do anything risky or edgy (i.e., out of character), they resisted. Permission to Build delivers eleven effervescent, catchy and totally brainless pop/rock nuggets with song titles like "Hook Me Up With Your Friend" and "Don't Say It's Too Late." "I think we should call your daddy up and tell him I'll be the one," Frank Pino croons on "Maria Simeone," one of four songs titled after girls' names. Cheesy? Oh, yes. Good record? YEAH! Behold, the power of cheese! 


Uploaded to Youtube by on Jan 9, 2010
Long lost animated music video by Waltham for the song "Cheryl" found hidden in the vault.

No comments:

Post a Comment